Anesthesia allows performance of surgical and other interventional procedures by rapidly, safely, and pleasantly producing analgesia (pain control), absence of anxiety (or absence of awareness with general anesthesia (GA), and adequate muscle relaxation. A critically important aspect of perioperative anesthetic care is maintenance of physiologic homeostasis (eg, hemodynamic stability, oxygenation, ventilation, temperature).
- Midazolam injection is used before medical procedures and surgery to cause drowsiness, relieve anxiety, and prevent any memory of the event. It is also sometimes given as part of the anesthesia during surgery to produce a loss of consciousness.
- Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid analgesic that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. It is a Schedule II prescription drug, and it is typically used to treat patients with severe pain or to manage pain after surgery.
- Rocuronium is an amino steroid non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocker or muscle relaxant used in modern anesthesia to facilitate tracheal intubation by providing skeletal muscle relaxation, most commonly required for surgery or mechanical ventilation.
- Atracurium is a medication used in addition to other medications in to provide skeletal muscle relaxation during surgery or mechanical ventilation. It can be used to help with endotracheal intubation but takes up to 2.5 minutes to result in appropriate intubating conditions.
- Cisatracurium injection is used before and during surgery to provide muscle relaxation and make intubation easier. This medicine must be given only by or under the direct supervision of a doctor.
- Ketamine Hydrochloride is primarily used as a general anesthetic for starting and maintaining anesthesia, pain relief, and amnesia. (a.k.a. Dextroketamine, Cetamina Cloridrato)
- Propofol is a sedative-hypnotic agent that is used for sedation and anesthesia during surgery.
- Dexmedetomidine, is an anxiolytic, sedative, and pain medication. Dexmedetomidine is notable for its ability to provide sedation without risk of respiratory depression. (a.k.a. Dexmedetomidina Cloridato)
- Morphine injection is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. Morphine is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics. It works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain.